Ways to Give
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the LSU Health Sciences Foundation?
The LSU Health Sciences Foundation is a private 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with the sole purpose of supporting LSU Health Shreveport. Often, there’s a difference between the way the state can use funds and the way a private nonprofit foundation can use funds. That is why it’s a good idea to donate to the Foundation; the faculty and staff at LSU Health Shreveport will benefit more, and more quickly, from gifts given to the Foundation.
Why should I give to the Foundation instead of directly to LSU Health Shreveport?
As a private tax-exempt corporation, we can do a lot of things that LSU Health Shreveport, a state office, can’t. For instance:
- Foundation funds are clearly separate from state funds. This means we can invest them more quickly and more
profitablythan a state office could.
- The Foundation can sell or purchase property far more easily, competitively, and expeditiously.
- The Foundation, through our Board of Directors, gets business leaders and talented community members involved in the success of LSU Health Shreveport. This means individuals with extensive legal, business, and financial management skills will be in charge of your gifts and how they are used.
- Our Board can also ensure that your gifts are used how you’d like them to be used, should you specify a purpose for your support.
- The Foundation does not release your information to the state. This means that the details of your personal finances will not become a matter of public record as they would if you gave directly to a state office like LSU Health Shreveport.
In short, the Foundation can grow and use funds as well as protect your privacy and interests in ways that LSU Health Shreveport can’t. This makes for a better relationship between you and LSU Health
How is the Foundation held accountable?
As a public charity, we are accountable to you, our supporters, as well as the faculty, staff
What is an endowment?
An endowment is a permanent fund of support for the purpose you specify. The principal is invested in order to achieve a return. This means that your gift is used to establish a principal that anchors the endowment, and then only the interest from the fund can be spent. Essentially, an endowment is an ever-growing, perpetual source of funds for LSU Health Shreveport which never goes away.
What is an unrestricted gift, and how will mine be used?
Unrestricted gifts are one of the most effective ways to support LSU Health Shreveport. When you give to LSU Health Shreveport through the
Some ways in which unrestricted gifts have been used in the last year include:
- Providing half a million dollars annually to build and strengthen the orthopedics department
- Acquiring land surrounding LSU Health Shreveport for future growth and expansion
- Purchasing effective signage for LSU Health Shreveport in order to increase visibility and name recognition in the community
- Providing equipment like the
daVinciSurgical System, a robotic surgery system that is essential to the healthcare and education functions of LSU Health Shreveport
Unrestricted gifts also support the following programs:
- Employee Excellence Awards
- Summer Undergraduate Pharmacology Experience in Research (SUPER)
- Medical Student Summer Research Program
- Graduate School travel for recruiting
- Awards and other needs for students
Can I determine how my gift is used?
Yes! Gifts may be designated to a specific fund, department or program. Gifts may also be unrestricted. Unrestricted gifts allow LSU Health Shreveport to allocate funds where they are most needed.
What is the Development Support Fee?
The Development Support Fee is a small fee applied to all gifts to the Foundation to support the operations of the Foundation. For more information, visit our Development Support Fee page.
Can I request anonymity when I give to the Foundation?
Of course! If you request anonymity, the Foundation will respect your
How do I receive communications from the Foundation?
We have several regular publications that we would be happy to send you, as well as invitation lists for events to which you might like us to add your name. Click here to send us your contact information.
What kinds of gifts are tax-deductible?
All gifts are tax-deductible, as long as they are true donations in the sense that you, the donor, receive nothing in return for the gift. If the gift in question is the purchase of an auction item or ticket to a charitable event, the value of the goods or services received will be included with the receipt so that the deductible amount of the gift can be calculated for tax reporting purposes.
Will I receive documentation of my tax-deductible gift?
Yes. All gifts over $5.00 will be receipted. You will receive a gift receipt that has the applicable IRS language.
How do I find the LSU Health Sciences Foundation?
Visit our Contact Us page.
How do I contact Ochsner-LSU Health Hospital?
Call 318.626.0000 to speak to someone at the hospital.